The past week didn't at all go as planned. I had taken the week off so I could enjoy the Malmö Festival which is an interesting mix of music, food and culture. And lots of drunk Swedish people ;-). Anyway. Monday and Tuesday were spent mostly lounging about at home, fiddling with my plane, flying it and so on. David was at home feeling not-so-well. He had a stomach ache and was generally feeling below average.

We spent some time fixing up some things around the appartment that we had been putting off "till later" for ages. On Wednesday, a couple of friends came over. David stayed home because his stomach had been troubling him all night so he needed to rest. So I went out to meet up with Kasper and Marianne and we decided to go for a walk and check out what was happening around town. I just quickly had to pop up with David's VISA card, but found him sitting in our recliner with immense abdominal pain. I decided that it was time to see a doctor. So I phoned Marianne and told her that she and Kasper should entertain themselves while I somehow got David to the doctor. We managed. After a couple of hours wait, the doctor could finally see us. He did some tests but couldn't find anything wrong. So we went home again.

David was feeling sort of OK at that point so we decided to play cards for a bit. At around 7.30pm David was out of the game and had gone to bed to rest. I went to check on him and found him curled up in a ball with an expression of sheer pain in his face. "Emergency ward" I thought to myself and asked Kasper and Marianne what their plans were. Marianne thought it was best that she left, so we said goodbye and I got Kasper to help me get David ready.

When we got to the emergency ward, we were asked to just wait till it was our turn. All the while, David's pain was increasing. Finally, after about 3 hours of waiting, a nurse came and told us to follow her.

To sum up the following 5 or 6 hours, it was a mixture of mostly waiting and a doctor pressing around on David's stomach while he was trying not to scream because of the pain. When they finally gave him a pain relief injection, we (Kasper and I) decided that we should probably get some sleep. By then it was around 4 in the morning.

We got up at 7 again so I could take Kasper to the station. He had to get to work. I went home and went back to bed. I woke up at around 10 and decided to get ready to go to the hospital. Just then a nurse called to tell me that David wasn't doing too well at all. He had started to get chest pains after they gave him the second injection, so he had been begging them to get hold of me. When I got there I was shocked to see how weak he looked. Two different doctors examined him and both agreed that this was really strange. A decision was made to admit him so they could keep an eye on him for a couple of days to see how his situation changed.

Luckily, his situation got better and better. On Friday afternoon they decided that he might as well just go home. Unfortunately, they never found out what caused those really powerful pains that he had been experiencing. We can only hope they don't ever return.

Yesterday (Sunday), I was with a couple of the guys from the flying club at an event where all the different sports clubs in Malmö show off. We had taken all our planes and a couple of helis so we could draw a crowd. And we certainly did. A model jet plane turbine blows off at around 120dB, so people started coming in just wondering what that noise was. It was great to see how many interested people showed up. I just hope it'll bring new members to the club also. New pilots are ALWAYS welcome ;-)

comments powered by Disqus